One of our awesome Mainly Music mums, Philippa, has compiled a fantastic list of lockdown resources for pre-school aged kids, check these out if you're looking for some new things to engage the kids with as lockdown carries on for the next few weeks!
1) mainly music sessions on Youtube (run by the founder of mainly music Jo Hood) – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7YsvEVIh01yFXPy8H-xXiA/videos
You can also google ‘mainly music‘ in youtube and there are a lot of recorded sessions available to pull out whenever you need one, from all around the country too!
2) Playgroup Victoria
3) Knox Council – Resources for Learning at Home
- downloadable activity sheets, website links
4) Monash Libraries – Storytime sessions (including Auslan and bilingual sessions), Babytime sessions, School Holiday program sessions
https://www.monlib.vic.gov.au/eLibrary/Play-Learn – activity links
5) Eastern Regional Libraries – Storytime sessions, Boredom Buster activities, Cooking sessions
https://www.yourlibrary.com.au/kids-activities/ - most recent of the Kids Activities from Eastern Regional Libraries
6) State Library of Victoria – Baby Bounce sessions, Storytime sessions
7) Whitehorse-Manningham Libraries https://www.facebook.com/whitehorsemanninghamlibraries - scroll through for live storytimes (Monday 11am, Wednesday 11am, Friday 11am), activities and experiments on facebook feed online
https://www.wml.vic.gov.au/files/August_Covid_Whats_On_Interactive.pdf – events through Whitehorse Manningham Libraries for August
https://wml.spydus.com/cgibin/spydus.exe/MSGTRN/WPAC/EVENTS?HOMEPRMS=EVSESPARAMS – featured events over coming weeks
https://www.wml.vic.gov.au/files/Whats_On_Online_September2020_Interactive.pdf - what’s happening in September, including school holiday program
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQIpp5XgWsA&list=PL28nNsiAZmMKYBTJrIxMENcuUFvKneuKQ – Makerspace videos from Whitehorse Manningham Libraries
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSFnaj08bqUFirqk0pNDlMQ/videos – other videos (e.g. puzzles) from Whitehorse Manningham Libraries (some double up with above link, others only on this video page not in the specific Makerspace playlist)
8) Playgroups Online through Monash Council - https://www.youtube.com/user/MonashCityCouncil/playlists\
9) MSO Jams for Juniors Online –
10) Victorian Opera’s Baby Bilby Sings –
11) Colin Buchanan - Home with Colin and Colin’s Christian Music for Kids videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/colinbuchananmusic/playlists
12) Hey Dee Ho Music - https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLrBQWO9NwLjUluVBAGdwniTmf45tFXfLc&v=g5m3TLBmeuc
they are also running a four week subscription of daily sessions https://heydeeho.com.au/hey-dee-ho-live-subscription/
13) Lah-Lah music clips/episodes –
14) Blippi – totally random that we came across him – Oliver has LOVED the segments on the garbage trucks, tractors, fire engines etc.
15) Scavenger Hunt ideas for toddlers – a myriad of ideas available on the internet (e.g. https://www.google.com/search?q=scavenger+hunt+ideas+for+toddlers&oq=scavenger+hunt+id&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j69i57j0l5.4234j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 )
Example websites/resources –
Oliver has loved going for colour walks – e.g. draw with crayons/textas on a piece of paper the colours we need to find and tick it off/take a photo/draw the object when we find something of that colour // finding particular numbers on letterboxes // find a skinny leaf (or rocks, leaves, gumnut, flowers, bark)
16) Cosmic Kids Yoga – I have personally not done any of these with Oliver – a friend whose little girl is the same age as Oliver recommended them to me as her daughter loves them https://www.cosmickids.com/
17) Geocaching –
18) A myriad of sites available with toddler activity ideas available on the internet –
Just in case you ever need -
Many zoos and animal parks are now closed to visitors so are broadcasting the movements of their animals online!
Check them out below:
"News, hands-on activities, quizzes and brainteasers, as well as plenty of free content that can be used at home to support learning.
Posts can be searched by subject (e.g. biological sciences, chemical sciences, maths, etc.)
"Authors, artists, musicians, and creators of educational tools are stepping up to offer free lessons, tours, and concerts that you can check out from the safety of your home. Whether you want easy lesson plans from Scholastic, a living room concert from John Legend, or a drawing lesson from Mo Willems, there's no shortage of fun things to do online."